the maritime industry
Financial support for unemployed seafarers
Funding is available to eligible unemployed seafarers undertaking updating training at approved MCA centres, leading to STCW 2010 certification. Payment is made direct to training centres with which the MEF has an MOU.
*Until further notice, this funding opportunity is unavailable*
Projects may include up to 50% for capital or infrastructure expenditure providing that the purpose is to enable new or enhanced maritime training.
Our aim is to support specific activities and projects each year to organisations that are committed to enhancing maritime, education and training skills in the UK.
These are currently:
- Able Seafarer (deck) apprenticeship (trailblazer)
- Able Seafarer (engine room) apprenticeship
- Maritime Caterer apprenticeship
A bursary of £4,000 per trainee can be claimed by the employer as follows:
- £2,000 on confirmation of registration at an approved college onto the apprenticeship programme;
- £2,000 on evidence of completion of training and achievement of the apprenticeship